My 6 year old son is sprouting like a weed, and eating more than ever before, and I know it is just beginning. Sundays are now “food prep” day. We are always looking for easy, healthy snacks, that he can grab and I can feel good about giving him. In addition to the obvious fresh fruits and vegetables, I thought I would include a few recent favorites.
Lemon Coconut Muffins
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1 T lemon zest (or zest from 1 lemon)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ – ⅓ cup maple syrup (depending on sweetness)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Makes 12 muffins.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and lemon zest.
- Blend the wet ingredients into the coconut flour mixture with a handheld mixture. (I will admit on lazy days I just mix everything together, and it turns out fine.)
- Scoop ¼ cup of batter into each prepared muffin cup.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out.
Sunbutter Oatmeal Balls
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ½ cup ground flax meal
- ½ cup sunbutter (or another seed or nut butter)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (Optional)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (Optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix all ingredients together, don’t be afraid to get messy and use your hands for easier mixing.
- Roll into 1 inch balls.